Monday, July 30, 2007

Ingmar Bergman dead

A glorious period in world cinema has ended. Though in his 80s, he continued to cast a spell with his directorial genius. A few years back he was in news for the hugely successful teleserial Saraband.

His movies are a must-see for mass communication students in general and film students in particular. Not without reason: his ability to convey with huge impact deep emotions was extraordinary. His movies are a permanent fixture in most film festivals.

Three Oscars out of 9 nominations; over 40 directorial ventures in a career spanning over 60 years is no mean achievement.

One reason I like Bergman movies is because many of them have the common theme of human relationships. Aspirations have a way of bonding lives. The twists and turns these lives endure play their own angelic or deathly roles.

Bergman movies have intense impacts. Through a glass darkly, for example, is a haunting medical movie.

Bergman is not around, but his movies will live on forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.