Saturday, August 5, 2006

15 years of web

Tomorrow, August 6, it will be exactly 15 years since Tim Berners-Lee formally introduced his World Wide Web project to the world.... That was in 1991.

In November 1992, there were just 26web servers online!

April 30, 1993 -- It was announced that World Wide Web can used by anyone for free...

Nov 1993 -- First webcam goes online: showing a coffee pot!

October 13, 1994 -- Bill Clinton puts White House on the web.

August 1995 -- There are 18,957 websites online

December 17, 1997 -- Web commentator Jorn Barger coins the term Weblog later shortened to blog

August 2000 -- Nearly 20 million website online

January 11, 2001 -- Jimmy Wales launches Wikipedia.

October 2005 -- Web grows more in 2005 than during the whole dotcom boom.

Read about it and more here on BBC.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing...the dot-com boom. sometimes I sit and do some serious thinking on how the communications area have boomed. Starting from the time I finished my schooling which was just six years back,the internet thing has grown up very fast.I realise not even having a e-mail id then.Now my whole world is in it.My work,field of study and also a thing of leisure.True,but I think of another thing also..how far can it go further?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.