Thursday, September 1, 2005

Pay bribe, see your child, in Bangalore

The New York Times has been running a series of articles examining the impact of corruption on democracy and economic development around the world. As part of it, there is an article on corruption in Bangalore. It talks of how poor mothers in Bangalore have to bribe hospital staff to even see their newborn baby. It's a very startling, shocking fact. How deep corruption can permeate the society, to such inhuman, brutal levels.

The NYT article has also been picked up
Blogging Baby, a portal on baby care and parenting.

2 comments:

  1. I remember reading about this in the TOI last year. I also remember a visit to a Govt. Hospital with my maid for her Anti rabies injections. The nurses were brutal and I have never come across a more vicious group of people than govt. hospital employees.The experience was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pradeep...nice informative post...
    thanx for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.