Monday, August 22, 2005

Asia may surpass U.S. in doctorates

I have always heard people saying that the number of Americans doing Ph.D. in the US is declining and the number of Asians are on the increase. Here is an article in Detroit News which has all the figures that I wanted. While in 1998, as many as 46,010 doctorates were awarded , the number came down to 44,160 in 2002. But all other education degrees are up dramatically. The article concludes saying the US in 1970 produced more than half of the world's Ph.D.s. But if patterns continue, it will be lucky to produce 15 percent of the world's doctorates by 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments. Thank you.
If your email ID is enabled in the Blogger profile, I'll reply to your comments via email because you won't have to come back here or look through email notifications to read my reply.
I might copy-paste the replies here if I feel they might be of interest to others as well.
For everyone else, I'll reply here.